Money is one of the most loaded, loved, and loathed topics. Although used every day, we rarely stop to consider how we feel, speak or what we truly believe about it. Understanding the money mind-set is critical to improving one’s financial situation.
There are many common beliefs that portray money in negative ways. For example, we’ve all heard that money is the “root of all evil”; or, to get it “we have to work hard doing stuff we don’t like;” or, if we focus on money “we’re greedy.” Considering Money is something we’d all love to have more of, it may feel weird or maybe gross saying “We love money!”
Routine financial advice typically involves a step-by-step process, but it’s hard to focus on these if not in the right frame of mind. So, to that end, I’d like to offer five simple guidelines to developing a Healthy “money mind-set”:
1. Focus on the Why, not the why not. When climbing a financial mountain there will be trips, slips and falls. Focus on the reasons for the climb, instead of all the reasons for falling, the difficulty or the urge to stop. This produces energy and enthusiasm to continue.
2. Rather than be victim, Create a New Reality. Thoughts, beliefs and actions allow current situations to be seen as temporary, while envisioning new ones that bring excitement. Reality is what you decide it to be.
3. Nurture it, money is a Relationship. Give it the appropriate time, attention and appreciation. Feel excited and grateful when it’s received; know it’s there when needed and how good it feels to share it. Giving and receiving money is an exchange of energy and appreciation.
4. Be Grateful, gratitude is strong and transformational. Debt means money was there when needed. Shifting negative feelings to positive promotes forgiveness, which opens doors to appreciate new opportunities that can reduce debt. What you appreciate, appreciates.
5. Lighten Up! Making money should be fun, not a slog. Most people will spend a large chunk of their lives working to make money. A good work attitude helps promote an enjoyable life; where as a bad attitude means a large portion of your life is spent, well….grouchy. Whether personal or business, decide that making money is a fun challenge instead of a crushing necessity.
So remember: A simple shift in perspective can make all the difference in your quality of life!